Sermon Title: The First Christian
Worship service date: December 23, 2018
Interim Pastor Thomas Hiltsley
Primary Bible verses:
Key sermon points:
Mary is the primary character in all of the Christmas stories.
Mary is an excellent example of what it means to believe in Christ.
- Mary received the gift of God’s Grace.
No merit of her own is cited.
- The Grace given to Mary is the very same Grace given to every believer.
Grace is the person of Jesus Christ.
- Mary is a model for all Christians in her response to God’s choosing.
“The obedience of faith.”
“…let it be to me according to your word.”
- Mary’s obedience was costly beyond any expectation she might have had.
a sword would “pierce her own soul, also.”
- Mary faithfully trusted God’s promise.
“Blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.”