Sermon Title: Love 3 – A Resurrection Affection – Difficult Loving
Worship service date: June 23, 2019
Interim Pastor Thomas Hiltsley
Primary Bible verses:
Key sermon points:
“Love from the center of who you are, don’t fake it. Run for dear life from evil, hold on for dear life to good. Be good friends who love deeply, practice playing second fiddle.” (Rom 12:9) The Message.
“But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” – Jesus (Matthew 5:44)
The Love spoken of in the New Testament is primarily characterized by the Greek word AGAPE unconditional, unmerited love based on the character of the one loving, not on the merit of the loved one.
Jesus commanded Love in the Upper Room and made it possible after the Resurrection through the gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit.
- Jesus dismantled vengeance with Love
- Christ did love His enemies and His Spirit is within us
- Enemies present opportunities for our spiritual growth
- Press us to prayer
- Prompt us to more intense self-evaluation
- Encourage examination of our relationship with God
- Motivate us to reliance upon Christian fellowship
- Stir up the fruits of the Spirit in our lives
- May be persons of deep personal need
“Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”