It is our intention at First Baptist to integrate children into the life of the church as much as possible, and foster inter-generational interactions. Adults have wisdom and love that they can share, and younger children remind us of Jesus' words that to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, we have to become like little children. (Matthew 18:3)
Sunday School classes are available for children ages 4 and older (9:45 am start time, same as all other Sunday School classes).
During the worship service, all ages gather together in the sanctuary during the initial ~20 minutes, and then the Pastor will dismiss children up through grade 4 for child care, which takes place down in Memorial Hall. Visiting parents are welcome to walk down to Memorial Hall with the kids and supervising adults to check out the area, and know where to return after the worship service is over to pick up their child. Child care includes games and stories intended to build relationships between the kids, and help them grow in their faith.
As kids get older, their spiritual needs change, and the ministries for older kids at First Baptist are designed to meet those needs.
Starting in 8th grade, kids transition to our high school Sunday school program. They are also invited to join the youth group, which meets Sundays from 5 pm to 7 pm every week. Youth group sessions start with supper, followed by a time when we look at God's Word, and then play group games and enjoy fellowship together. The last Sunday of each month is movie night, when we turn the Vestry at the church into a theater.
There are two youth retreats offered each year for this age group, and for many of the kids these are a highlight of their year. One retreat is typically at Grotonwood in Groton MA, and the other at Monadnock Christian Ministries in Jaffrey NH.
There are a number of ways that adults at First Baptist grow in faith together.
- Each year the people at First Baptist elect team leaders who oversee various functions within the church. Examples would be Christian Education and Fellowship/Caring ministries.
- Tuesday mornings the women of the church join together for Bible study.
- Wednesday evenings we join together for a 45 minute prayer service.
- On the fourth Tuesday each month a team from First Baptist cooks and serves dinner to 30-40 guests at the Stoneham Community Dinner program.
- Special events throughout the year - see the Events page, or follow the church's Facebook page to see upcoming opportunities.
Getting involved in one of these groups/activities is a great way to build relationships at First Baptist and benefit the church community by using your gifts.
Get in Touch
We’d love to hear from you. Visit us this weekend or contact us using the information below.